Skip to content
Companion to the official sfac.ucsc.edu (opens in new tab) · About this site

April 27th, 2023

3:00 – 4:30pmKerr Hall 61

AgendaMinutes

Zoom: https://ucsc.zoom.us/j/99731613774?pwd=WDdMZm9DaE02QlphQ3JiVk14WGRwQT09

  1. Welcome & Check-In (5mins)

    1. Check-In Prompt:

      1. Name, Space, Year, Pronouns and Major (if comfortable/applicable)

        1. Cowell, Crown, Merrill, Porter, Kresge, Oakes, RCC, C9, JRL, GSC, GSA, Provost, SUA, Lisa, Lucy, Lydia, Jade, Liz Moya (SAB)
  2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes: SFAC_Minutes_042023

Gabrielle motions to approve

Marshall seconds

  1. Announcements & Updates: (2min)

    1. The CSF Spring Quarter Meeting is scheduled for: (2mins)

      1. Saturday, May 6th from 9:30 AM to 5 PM with Lunch from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM and Scheduled Breaks

      2. Sunday, May 7th from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM - No Meals Provided

      3. Location: UC Berkeley

      4. Possible attendance: Andy, Bara, Jhertau, Marshall, and Gabrielle

-Would we be missing any class or school?

We would be leaving in the evening and no missing school, if anyone is planning to come, email Andy or Charlene.

Andy to send email to Berkley to let them know that UCSC is coming.

  1. Statement of Approval for the Sustainability Office referendum

    1. Sample for 2021:

      1. “The Student Fee Advisory Committee (SFAC) supports the extension and subsequent increases because it will allow for the Sustainability Office to continue operations and increase student leadership in sustainability achievements in and outside of the UC Santa Cruz campus. We acknowledge that if this fee is not passed the services they offer will be further reduced.”

      2. DRAFT: charlene’s draft suggestion

“The Student Fee Advisory Committee (SFAC) supports the extension and subsequent increases. We believe it will enable student employment in the Sustainability Office to continue operations and increase student lead efforts within UCSC and surrounding communities. We acknowledge that if this fee is not passed the services of the office will be further reduced.”

  1. Changes the wording the statement
<!-- -->
  1. Committee consensus to support.

SFAC needs to give out an opinion to the sustainability office and that should be done by today.

Emphasizing the fact that the reduction of the efforts is something that they're already doing

Marshall - it states the opinion of the student fee advisory is, so we might not want to add it at the start of the statement

Lydia - we might not want to have the personalization to the letter, to we can just add “The committee”

Mel motions to support the draft

Bara seconds

0 Objections

0 abstains

  1. Funding allocation finalize:
<!-- -->
  1. CSF limitations document

  2. Allocation for the remaining of EMH source: $43,493

    1. Last meeting vote to look at the proposals case by case and come up with one proposal each and why they should be funded

    2. Fully fund for student initiated proposal:

      1. Mel chose - Someca peer to peer program - Thinks we can double it to make it for 2 employees

        1. Experienced what someca does and how they help

        2. Double the $5484 to $10968

        3. We can fund them more and make sure to tell them that this is only for one year

        4. Originally asked for $16000

        5. Mel motions to fund them for $10968

        6. Jhertau and Gabrielle seconds

        7. #31

      2. Charlene - DRC

        1. Previously decided not to fund

        2. Kind of thought it went into their internal events

        3. Their events were more external so that is the reason she thought of funding them

        4. #53

        5. Suggestion amount only give them half of what they’re asking for

        6. Asking for $11,000

        7. We could also fund them through EMH since it can indirectly impact equity and mental health

        8. Jhertau - if we do fund them, there can be future funding for permanence

        9. Mel is lobbying for that in lobby core right now since there is 1 counselor per 1,500 students

          1. Their minimum is $9,000

          2. Most people support the $9,000 but also some are okay with fully funding them

          3. Charlene motions to fund $9,000 to the DRC from EMH

          4. Mel seconds

Do the changes coincide with the changes Lucy made?

Not sure about that at the moment

EMH $34493

Take all the proposals that are not fully funded, and divide equally

Divide the EMH funding by all of the proposals that have been funded and divide equally

VSA and Neurotech fund through EMH since they are student lead meeting

We funded them $1000 because they are student lead we can fund them through EMH $2,000

We want to create a standard especially since they did not complete the application correctly, but we also want to make sure this money gets used and seen by students this year

Charlene motions to fund VSA through EMH for $2,000 on top of what was already funded

Marshall seconds

We fully funded their supplies, Andy talked to the author of the proposal and the money would count as an encouragement for the student employees and it is not one of their priorities to have student employees

Mel thinks that we can fund $780 for their travel since they compete.

Take that money from M7 and SSF

Andy motions to fund an additional $780 for neurotechs travel

Mel seconds

$11169 dollars

Revisit #33 Food pantry and Terry Freitas commons

#21 Personal care pantry

Charlene: fully fund #21 out of EMH $2120 more funded

For the commons and food pantry adding $4,000 to their funding

Fund both increases to EMH

Charlene motions to modify number #21 adding $2120 through EMH and #33 adding $4,000 from EMH to our previous allocation

Bara left so we do not have a quorum, so we are going to suggest changes to approve on next week.

In EMH we have $28,373

Charlene suggests funding these motions

Mel suggests a second

Everyone thinks we should split the money in EMH equally

Split the money through SSF and M7 split funds with all of the partially funded proposals, excluding the non funded ones and the fully funded ones

  1. Letter to the Vice Chancellor

We can suggest to approve the suggestions and approve them next week

Andy suggests to motion the edits to the language for the letter to the vice chancellors

Gabrielle suggests to second

  1. Review units with large carryforward from Lisa’s presentation:

    1. SFAC Budget presentation 4-2023.pdf

    2. Subcommittee form to review materials?

    3. - who do we want to ask to come in?

      1. Student media council

      2. Student media voice

      3. Committee to visit all college senates specifically porter, cowell, Stevenson, kresge

      4. Cultural arts and diversity

      5. Campus programs fee

      <!-- -->
      1. Fitness

We can suggest that they meet with us, or one of us go to one of their meetings and come up with questions to ask them

Suggest donating money to other funding calls, or funding their own funding calls

Or things that can be funded in their colleges

Since we are almost done with funding calls, we could do an hour for committee work, and then 30 mins for subcommittee work

  1. Review SFAC bylaws from 2015-2016:

    1. SFAC Handbook 2015-16.pdf

    2. Update language for quorum requirements

    3. Proposed stipend raises for members ~1k each level

These amounts were made a long time ago to coincide with the fees, but since the fees are increasing, our stipends should increase

This would come out of the operational budget, not the funding call.

Most people agree, a blanket increase of $500

Changes are potentially able to be made to this year's stipend but it can possibly be done

Page 10 Lists a little bit more about the stipend and it details a little bit more

-Did Lydia have to do office hours?

Yes, but it was on the website offered to the college senate members. It was suggested to table and outreach to the office hours

Take it off of the bylaws and reshape it to a possible outreach to the heart of the colleges

Work on finding the right way to phrase it

Official numbers next week

Marhall motions to adjourn

Jhertau seconds

  1. If time permits: Brainstorm future guests and topics

    1. Bringing in past units that submit proposals, preferably in spring.

    2. Discuss units/ fees with large carryforwards, shouldn’t have more than 15-10% of their budget amount, spring week 3

    3. Meeting with the Chancellor Cynthia Larive.

    4. Meeting with Vice Chancellor Akirah Bradley-Armstrong

  2. Adjournment